FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this).


Featured Listings

FlightSchoolList.Com Aviation School Directory

Contact KC Flight


(913) 240-1694



5 Aero Plz, New Century, KS.

trenfro's blog

What does it take to become an instrument rated pilot?

Submitted by trenfro on Sun, 11/28/2010 - 07:52

In addition to your private pilot certificate you need:
50 PIC hours of Cross country flight. One of these must include a long Cross Country with 3 different Instrument approaches.
40 hours of simulated instrument or actual instrument flight.  15 of those must be with a CFII.
Another written exam and another check-ride.

I've heard 40 hours is not safe or realistic.

Submitted by trenfro on Fri, 11/26/2010 - 04:17

College programs that are Part 141 schools finish private pilots in 35 hours.  They use college students as instructors.  If a 20 year old college kid can finish a flight student in 35 hours then I can finish a student in less than 40 hours.   I have over 8 years of experience on over 8000 hours of dual given.  The last student I finished had 35 hours and had to go fly 5 hours of solo just to get enough hours to meet the 40 hours minimum requirement.
The military used to kick anyone out of the flight program that had not soloed in ten hours.  I know of at least one flight school today that requires that students have a minimum of tweenty hours before they can solo.  Is it safety or is it money.  The FAA says there is only tweenty hours of dual required TOTAL. KC Flight does not have pre-set numbers.  If you are ready to solo in eight hours you will solo in eight hours. The average is ten lessons or about fifteen hours.   If you are not ready we are not going to let you do anything that is not safe.  We both have to agree 100% that it is safe and you are ready.
Top quality safe training, safety first.  60 to 80 hours of inferior training does not make a safer pilot.
In addition our training doesn't stop when you get your private pilot certificate.   We encourage on going training.  Your Private certificate is a license to learn.  As a new pilot if you plan to fly and the wind is a little stronger than what you are comfotable with call your instructor and practice cross wind landings.   If you want 60 to 80 hours of training that is great, why not apply half of that towards your instrument rating.